- In a lifetime, the average American will throw away 600 times
his or her adult weight in garbage. This means that each adult
will leave a legacy of 90,000 lbs. of trash for his or her children.
- Recycling all of your home's waste newsprint, cardboard, glass,
and metal can reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 850 pounds a
- Each of us generates on average 4.4 pounds of waste per day
- Enough energy is saved by recycling one aluminum can to run
a TV set for three hours or to light one 100 watt bulb for 20
- Americans throw away enough aluminum every three months to rebuild
our entire commercial air fleet.
- Annually, enough energy is saved by recycling steel to supply
Los Angeles with electricity for almost 10 years.
- You can make 20 cans out of recycled material with the same
amount of energy it takes to make one new one.
- Five recycled plastic bottles make enough fiberfill to stuff
a ski jacket.
- In this decade, it is projected that Americans will throw away
over 1 million tons of aluminum cans and foil, more than 11 million
tons of glass bottles and jars, over 4 and a half million tons
of office paper and nearly 10 million tons of newspaper. Almost
all of this material could be recycled.
- Incinerating 10,000 tons of waste creates 1 job, landfilling
the same amount creates 6 jobs, recycling the same 10,000 tons
creates 36 jobs.